SKY KERSHNER, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
I believe that each of us has the capacity to heal from our inner and outer wounds and to develop solutions to the problems we face, many of which are of our own making. My role as a therapist is to collaborate with you and to help you to clarify your goals; to help you understand the hidden or conflicted parts of who you are and how you are being in the world; and to help you develop your inner hope, motivation, and confidence in your abilities to make changes that are important to you.
My practice is based on a psychodynamic foundation of deep appreciation of the unconscious and how our defenses both protect us and sometimes prevent us from living more authentic, connected, peaceful, and happy lives.
I also include in my practice newer, evidence based approaches such as Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
In addition to advanced residencies in psychodynamic psychotherapy and family systems, my credentials include:
- Assistant Professor, WVU School of Medicine, B Med
- Member, the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers
- Nationally Certified Marriage and Family Clinical Fellow and Supervisor
- Nationally Certified Former Diplomate and Supervisor in Pastoral Counselor
- Nationally Certified Trauma Instructor
- Nationally Certified Master Addictions Counselor
- WV LPC, Licensed Professional Counselor
- WV LCSW, Licensed Certified Social Worker
- WV ALPS, Approved Supervisor for Individual and Marriage Counselors
- Guest Counselor, Discovery Channel “Hoarders”, 2010
- WV Counselor of the Year 2015
- WV Civil Rights Award 2014
I am available for consultations, workshops, trainings, and presentations
For a current list of speaking topics, click here
If I have no openings when you call, I will do my best to find a counselor who will be a good fit for you.